Sunday, August 6, 2017

SAGA: My SAGA begins - Archers

One of my next projects, which will certainly keep me busy for the next few months, is the painting of a troop for SAGA.

Since I had been in the reenactment for a long time and had built up a gotlandic representation for the beginning of the 11th century by means of grave finds, my first army will orient itself accordingly.
However, I will play my Gotlanders not as Viking, but as Anglo-Danes - reason are the corresponding grave finds in the various graveyards, in which quite often axe heads of Daneaxes have been found.

As far as equipment and clothing are concerned, my Gotlanders will have an Eastern influence.
There are hardly any finds of helmets and garments on Gotland, but I am guided here by the representations of the numerous sculptures on which repeatedly pointed helmets, bobbing trousers etc. are recognizable.

Some of the mentioned pictures from Gotland:






And here is the 1st point (of the planned 6) for my Gotlanders/Anglo-Danes - a unit of 12 levy archers.
Miniatures are a mix from Wargames Factory, Gripping Beast and Shieldwall Miniatures.










9 comments:

  1. Tremendous painting! Really well executed. Only the somewhat awkward poses of the Wargames Factory miniatures don't really fit in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many many thanks, Moiterei! :-)

      And yes, this box don´t have really suitable right arms for archers, so I had to find a pose, thats at least looks a little bit real.
      I wanted to find out, how they look painted, but will replace them with some V&V miniature soon.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a great post...and splendid figures, well done!

    ReplyDelete