Friday, August 2, 2024

Terrain: Wheat fields

In order to fill my new mat with life, I need not only buildings and trees etc. but also meadows and fields, so I set to work, starting with the Wheat fields first.
The aim was to create flexible pieces that can adapt to an irregular surface and that they work for both 15mm and 28mm miniatures.
And for both conditions: Mission accomplished 😎

The starting materials for this are fake fur, acrylic paste and lots of colours (both normal acrylic paints and spray cans), combs, brushes, clippers, scissors and above all: lots of time.

After trimming the coat to the desired length, there are 2 possible techniques (or any combination of them):
- Spraying on the colour using spray cans, followed by brushing it into the coat.
- Brushing on normal acrylic paint, which is then brushed into the coat.

In the end, the best version for me turned out to be combing in normal acrylic paint, especially as you are also less dependent on the weather, as I can (and only want to) use spray cans outdoors.

If there is enough interest, I could create a tutorial on how I built the terrain pieces.


But for now without further ado, here are the finished wheat fields:

All the different versions of wheat fields at a glance.

The classic ‘golden’ wheat field - well, at least as one (me) imagines it 😎

Size comparison with 15mm and 28mm.

With a bit of Green it can be used to represent still unripe wheat.


The version I finally decided on

This is what a wheat field looks like now and shortly before the harvest starts.



And here is a short tutorial how I made them:

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I will try my best, hope this works well as I never did one before.

      Delete
  2. Tutorial please. these look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, will try do and upload a tutorial in the next few weeks.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I´ll do my very best, should be Online within the next few weeks.

      Delete
  4. I realy like your weed fields and grassland patches. Could you point me where you got the fake fur from, I had bad luck withe my last few purchases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :-)

      I'm afraid that I can't help you with this, as I bought my fabric at a local fabric market here in Bavaria.

      Delete