Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Tutorial: How I make Wheat Fields and Grassland from Fake Fur

Here is a little "How To" on how I make my fake fur fields and meadows.
There are countless techniques to achieve the same (and better) results, but this is the one that:
a) works best for me
b) is a good compromise between effort and time

I would recommend testing different techniques, as I did, as this is the only way to find the technique that suits you best.


First things first:
- It is advisable to wash the fabric thoroughly beforehand to remove any residue that could prevent the colour from sticking to the fabric later.

- Cut the fur to size and then gradually trim it to the desired length using a shaver (preferably one for small animals, as these devices are more robust), in my case 16mm.
I use different attachments for this and trim the length down step by step to the desired length.
Then use scissors to trim the fur in different places to achieve a natural look.

- Each layer of colour must be applied repeatedly from all sides and then always brushed in immediately. It is better to repeat this several times than to apply too much colour at once, because then the hairs of the fake fur will clump together!

- The colour must be allowed to dry between the individual layers, but the time can be shortened with a hair dryer.

- Take your time and don´t rush through the needed steps.


Lets get started with ...



In addition to the fake fur, you will need a shaver, scissors, various brushes and combs, as well as brushes in different sizes. I use inexpensive paintbrushes here, as they are quite strained when applying the paint to the fur.

The fur is cut to size and trimmed to the desired length.

The first layer of colour has been worked in, a dark mix of brown and green forms the basis of my wheat fields.

A bit of Sun-Yellow added to the above mix forms the next layer,

... followed by adding even more Sun-Yellow to the mix.

The next layer applied - this time pure Sun-Yellow. The difference to the previous step is clearly visible in comparison to the field in the background.

The next layer was mixed from a bit of Beige (Pale Sand) that I´ve added to the Sun-Yellow.


Starting with this step, the colour is only applied very lightly and in different places to the upper third of the hair, no longer to the entire surface.
This creates a natural "lively" look.

More Beige/Pale Sand added. This means that the appearance of the field comes closer and closer to its model when the wheat is ripe for harvesting.

Pure Beige/Pale Sand added as highlights - do this like you would do a Drybrush on miniatures, buildings, or bases. Now just comb in very lightly to blend in the highlight.

My finished Wheat Fields ...

... and the real thing.


I hope this little how-to is helpful for some of you when building your own fields and/or meadows.

I will answer questions in the comments as quickly and as well as possible, but this is only a hobby blog and so an answer can sometimes take a while if I have little time for the hobby.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for explaining your technique here. I am planning to do a faux-fur cloth and this will be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, glad I could help :-)

      Fantastic blog you have, I especially like the terrain and building construction - following now!

      Delete
  2. Lovely work Utgaard, realistic looking fields, interesting you apply the colours with a paint brush, I lead more to spray cans, to colour fur.
    cheer John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, John :-)

      Yeah did use spray cans too when I did a gaming mat, problem is you need a big room with good ventilation, or good weather for a couple of days ;-)

      Delete