Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Terrain: Where the streets have no name - roads made from Fake Fur and Acrylic Caulking

Unpaved roads were next on my to-do list and of course, these should also be flexible so that they can adapt to hilly terrain.

The starting material was again fake fur, which I trimmed short at the edges and completely shaved off where the actual roadway runs.
Next came the colouring of the strips I left on the sides of the roads with various shades of brown and green as they should represent gras and so on..

After this had dried, I applied acrylic caulking with a palette knife, sprinkled sand over the wet mixture, smoothed it out with a narrow rolling pin and then pressed in some tracks.
As soon as the acrylic-sand mixture was completely dry (after about 24 hours), it was ready to be painted.

I still need a few more junctions and some narrower paths, which I will be building soon, before I want to try whether this method can also be used to create paved roads.
All in all I´m. happy how these roads turned out.

The finished roads and junctions so far:

My completed roads and junctions so far.

The straight ones ...

... and the curvy pieces.

Crossing and junction

15mm and 28mm miniatures and vehicles for size comparison.

Here you can see how flexible the sections are and how they can adapt to the ground.


Click here for a small how-to:

8 comments:

  1. That's genius! Never would have thought to use TB fur as the base material.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Neil! :-)

      Thought I give it a try as I had so much Fake Fur left after doing the fields and meadows :-D

      Delete
  2. What did you use to shave off the fur off the actual roadway section?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same tools like in the tutorial for the Wheat Fields ;-)

      Delete
  3. I liked your fields from faux fur and these roads look good too. As Neil Patterson comments, I wouldn't have thought of the same approach. I use felt material for similar projects, which you might like to compare on my blog: https://handbuilthistory.blogspot.com/2022/07/flexible-dirt-roads-made-of-felt.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John!

      As I replied to Neil it was a matter of left other Fake Fur and so decided to give it a try. But for the planned cobblestone roads I will use similar material as you, in my case fleece.

      Delete