Sunday, July 28, 2024

Terrain: My new gaming mat for more Arid Regions

As the size of my gaming table has grown to 2.10 x 1.30 metres and my previous gaming mat was designed more for Central Europe/North America (too much vivid greens), it was time to build a new mat.

I used painter's fleece as the fabric, onto which I then applied acrylic caulking using a spatula and a rolling pin and into which I then worked sand in various colours and grain sizes.

After everything had been allowed to dry thoroughly for 24 hours, I then coloured everything, added different shades, highlights and colour variations so that the surface of the mat looks ‘alive’.
Finally, I cut the mat to a size of 2.50 x 1.60 metres, so I should be prepared for all eventualities 😅

The new mat represents rather dry regions such as Sicily, Tunisia or the Levant much better than my previously used mat, which has since been sold to Norway 😎





Detailed view of the surface texture

The WiP stage

After applying the acrylic caulking I have added the first layer of sand and then pressed everything down firmly with a rolling pin.

Colouring started: Base colours and the first highlights are applied to the mat.


2 comments:

  1. Where did you purchase the painters fleece from.? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Germany you get them from DIY stores and Painters shops.

      Delete